Saturday, March 26, 2011

Vintage Stereo - Pioneer SX-780 Receiver


I like old guitars. I like "old music" especially jazz-fusion from the 70s, so why not old stereo equipment? And the more I started to read up about vintage stereo in forums like Audiogon and Audiokarma, the more interested I got in collecting a few pieces before the prices go through the roof like they have for vintage electric guitars.

The '70s were the golden age of receivers - usually silver faced designs pumping out 100 watts per channel or more with enough buttons and lights to match an aircraft cockpit. These receivers were created with a passion for design and build quality you just don't see in today's lowest cost, disposable approach to business. Quite simply, they don't build 'em like that any more and you can tell because these things weigh 50 pounds or more. Like many of my favorite guitars, they are made in Japan - a sign of quality right there. For whatever reason, the '80s ushered in a different era of [lesser] quality and black plastic.

It's amazing how many '70s receivers are still around in great condition by Marantz, Pioneer, Yamaha, Luxman, Harman Kardon, Sansui, Kenwood . . . the list goes on. When I saw a Pioneer sx-780 for only $50 on Craigslist I decided to take the plunge. At "only" 45 watts per channel it does not have the appeal [or price tag] of the 100+ watt monster receivers that everyone wants, but I figured it was a good place for me to start.

It was in good condition overall, but super dusty and dirty - but for $50 it's hard to complain. It obviously sat in someone's basement for at least 10 years. Maybe 20. Surprisingly [or perhaps not surprisingly when you consider how well designed and built these pieces are] everything still worked, even every light bulb. I ordered some Caig DeoxIT and a can of compressed air, opened the case and went to work. I managed to get the knobs and face plate off so I could clean behind the glass and deoxidize all the switches. As you can see, it's really cleaned up nicely and I love the black meters - especially the two VU meters which bounce around based on how loud you crank it.

So how does it sound? I would say it's mid-fi rather than hi-fi. It sounds fairly neutral, but not super clear or detailed like my Cyrus amp. It has some powerful, deep bass though - always a good quality in my book. Of course, with equipment that's approaching 35 years old, some of the components are on their last legs and probably need replacing to get it operating to the manufacturer's original specs so any judgments on sound quality have to be made with that caveat.

I am not sure I will keep this unit long-term or put any more money into it, but I am enjoying it for now. I am currently playing FLAC files from my laptop through it and it sounds so much better than my mini PC speakers. Plus it has a phono section so I can play my '70s vinyl again!

2 comments:

  1. I have the same receiver and you are right about the punch. My Denon is awesome (180 per channel) but the Pioneer sounds good with AR and Bose speakers. It was the best receiver you can buy for the money back then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I owned one of these and played many a 70s fusion albums on my Pioneer pl-518 TT through this beauty, bought it with my dad at a Best Electronics store(long before Best Buy).You just couldn't beat crisp new vinyl through one of these. Finally blew a component in the early 90s after years of cranking and I got rid of it. I regret ever doing that. I get all sentimental just looking at the pics of them now.

    ReplyDelete