Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Peavey Foundation Bass - Craigslist Pickup


I've been using a Korean Ibanez Soundgear SR300 bass for home recording since 2007. It's a nice playing bass, but the pickups are really weak sounding. I looked at some import basses for around $400, but they didn't impress me. That's also more than I wanted to spend as I am just laying down some bass lines occasionally so I turned to Craigslist and picked up a made in USA Peavey Foundation bass for only $125.

It's a great bass and I am really happy with it. The neck is thin and fast and the super ferrite pickups are excellent - powerful, deep and with a nice growl. It's really improved the sound of my loops and backing tracks. Build quality is superb - rock solid maple neck and a solid ash body. IMO the quality of this bass beats out the imports and you'd be looking at $600+ to get something better. Definitely worth checking out if you see one.

Here's an interesting thread on how great these basses are:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/1980s-peavey-foundation-appreciation-thread-520164/

I'm building up quite a collection of Peavey guitars as I also have a USA Reactor (Tele) and USA Predator (Strat) - both heavily customized. All great value for money guitars that can be had cheaply.

1 comment:

  1. I found an absolute cherry 1984 Foundation and the quality build,playability/action and tone are superb.
    It is a dream to play and many bass players admit they love Peavey but still play their Fenders because they like that little fender logo.

    ReplyDelete