Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Electro-Harmonix Small Stone - Analog.Man Mods


I am a phase junky and I always have a phaser on my board. Always. After a lot of research I decided to upgrade to an Electro-Harmonix Small Stone version 2 - one of the classic '70s phasers.

If you include the new Nano series I think there are five versions of the Small Stone and #2 is supposed to have the warmest circuit. I found one on eBay for $75 in very good condition. As advertised, it had a very lush and warm tone - unlike any other phaser. But it was a H-U-G-E tone sucker. It really cuts the higher frequencies and even at low volumes you can hear it sweeping - even when it is not engaged. If ever there was a poster child for true bypass this pedal is it. But the tone was so good I didn't want to give up on it - even though there was a noticeable volume drop when engaged.

So I sent it along to Analogman for his true bypass, volume and feedback mods. It's guys like Mike that enable you to have your tone and crank it. An adjustable trim pot is added to the circuit so you can easily set the engaged volume to taste. The Feedback mod tones down the squeal and feedback with another trim pot when the "color" switch is up. On reflection, the volume mod is essential, but the feedback mod didn't do much for me so I would suggest not bothering with that and saving yourself some money. I also had a red LED added so you know when the pedal is engaged - a huge oversight by the EH designers.

All in all, these mods bring an already great sounding vintage pedal up to modern day specs and usability levels. Customer service from Analogman was also excellent - I had the pedal back within a week. It now reigns supreme as my go to phaser on my main board with it's deep, rich and chewy tones. Love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment