Sunday, March 14, 2010

Upgrading a Peavey Reactor



I recently bought a mint condition Peavey Reactor – a made in USA Fender Telecaster copy – for $125 on craigslist (see here: http://tonewarrior.blogspot.com/2009/12/peavey-reactor-great-telecaster-copy.html). These are very nice guitars for the money and are ideal platforms for a wide range of upgrades.

While the guitar played really well, the stock pickups were fairly average in tone so that’s where I started. There are so many fantastic high-end pickups around from the likes of Lindy Fralin, Don Mare, Lollar and Kinman, but as this would not be my main guitar I decided to go with a more economical choice. I wanted a traditional ‘50s Telecaster tone so I selected a Seymour Duncan Vintage Rhythm STR-1 and a Seymour Duncan Vintage ’54 Lead STL-1. I am very happy with the results.

The STL-1 is a vintage-correct reproduction of 1954 Tele lead pickup and is well suited for a wide range of styles, from traditional country, country pop, chicken pickin', rockabilly, blues, and blues-rock. The STR-1 is a vintage-correct reproduction of 1954 Tele lead pickup that delivers a twangy, bright and biting sound. The Seymour Duncan web site states that the rhythm (neck) pickup should compliment the bright twang of the lead pickup with a smooth and open tone, warm lower-mids and airy highs. I agree and these pickups work well together. Compared to the stock pickups they are louder, fuller, and much more articulate (less muddy) – especially the neck pickup.

While I was at it, I also decided to upgrade the electronics. I have been interested in trying a 4-way switch for some time and this was a great time to experiment. I replaced the stock 250k pots with 500k pots because I wanted a really bright sound and added a Sprague Orange Drop 047µF Capacitor. I also dropped in a 4-way switch, which was wired in this manner:

  • Position 1: neck/bridge pickups in series
  • Position 2: neck pickup
  • Position 3: neck/bridge pickups in parallel
  • Position 4: bridge pickup

These upgrades have made a huge sonic difference. This Tele really rocks now and delivers great twang and bite. Play with some gain and this little guitar is a blues-rock monster. Position 1 is absolutely killer. It sounds incredibly rich, combining the fullness and power of a humbucker, but with the nuances of single coils.

Cosmetically I also made a few changes to improve the guitar’s appearance. I ordered a custom cut pearl white pickguard from Chandler guitars (unfortunately the more cost effective standard Telecaster pickguards do not fit the Peavey Reactors). I also added two new black knobs with pearl tops ordered from Stewart MacDonald. This guitar now looks as good as it sounds.

So for about $350 I have a great Telecaster that I would put up against all imports without hesitation and even some of the U.S. made Fender Telecasters that start around $799.

7 comments:

  1. hi,my name is antonio,i am from monterrey,mexico.congratulation for your blog.

    could you write a post about a dod`s pedal?:
    the octoplus fx 35.i am interesting to make some upgrades.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments. I have been looking for an octave pedal and I like some DOD pedals. But the Octoplus only gives you one octave down. I would probably get a MIJ Boss Octave or Octaver OC-2 because you get 2 octaves down. Another good unit is the Pearl Octave which gives you 2 octaves down and 1 up, but those are hard to find and expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought a white Peavey Reactor new in 1997 and I still have it. I love the guitar and I agree that it is as good if not better than comparable Fenders. I appreciate your posting the mods. My pickguard began to crack and I am considering doing similar mods since I am replacing the pickguard. It would have been nice to know the standard Tele guards don't fit - found out the hard way. Thanks again for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, my name is Alex I was wanting to something similar to my Reactor as well. I was considering purchasing a Fender Strat, but I really like my Reactor and I thought hey why don't I just upgrade it instead? That's when I came across your blog. Is it possible to install gold hardware on these, and replace the saddle?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought one of these recently (mint $ 180) and was impressed with the build quality. The neck is worth a mention,it's a unique shape and very playable. The frets and nut were top notch. I put an old set of Texas Specials in and replaced the tuners with locking Schecters, added an orange drop cap, dressed the frets and voila, a guitar you couldn't touch for under $500. Peavey knew where to put the money on these. If you like to upgrade guitars this is an excellent choice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So what pots did you use to fit the smaller mounting holes on the Peavey control plate? Most every pot I find is 3/8" and the Peavey has 5/16" mounting holes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember exactly as it was a few years ago but these should work:

      http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Components_and_Parts/Potentiometers/Alpha_Mini_Control_Pot.html

      Delete