Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Vinyl Find: Joe Farrell Quartet [CTI 6003]



Interesting album. I have to admit this is my first Farrell recording so I wasn’t quite sure what to expect. I always grab CTI label vinyl AFTER reading the inside cover. Creed Taylor liked to add strings to a lot of the jazz and funk albums he produced around this time (1970) and to my ears that takes good music into an extremely dangerous place – i.e. “easy listening”.

This album though is excellent. No surprise really when you consider the quartet line up – Chick Corea, Jack Dejohnette, Dave Holland and John McLaughlin (on one track). The album contains a bit of everything – some cool grooves, some avant guard, some be-bop. Chick Corea shines throughout and McLaughlin is excellent on the opening cut “Follow Your Heart”. And with Farrell handling tenor and soprano saxes as well as flute and oboe there is some variety in sound from track to track which is an added bonus. Not the easiest to find, but recommended if you see a clean copy.

Recorded in 1970 by Rudy Van Gelder and wouldn’t you know it, my copy has “van gelder” in the deadwax.

Vinyl – NM
Sleeve VG+
Price: $2.50

No comments:

Post a Comment