Thursday, July 5, 2012

Today's Spin: Thin Lizzy - Johnny the Fox




Picked this album up on vinyl the other day and man, what a great album it is.  I had this on LP back in the day and stupidly traded it away.  As I am getting back into vinyl again I had to pick this up as it was only a few dollars and in great shape.

The album highlights are the opening track "Johnny" with Brian Downey's fantastic drum rolls and triplets.  The other outstanding cuts are the hit single [in the U.K.] "Don't believe a word" and of course, the title track "Johnny the Fox Meets Jimmy the Weed".  Once again, Downey shines on this track with a fantastic groove on top of which are layered some superb funky wacca wacca wah guitars from Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson.  I have always loved the version on "Live & Dangerous", but I think this studio version may be even better.

Phil Lynott gets mellow and introspective on some of the tunes, most notably "Borderline", "Sweet Marie" and "Fool's Gold".  Regardless, all the tracks move along nicely and the album has a solid cohesive feel and good '70s production.  I am sure there is a story to this album - perhaps, heaven forbid, even a concept - but I have never been able to work it out.

I picked up the first U.S. pressing on Mercury and it sounds excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment