Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Book Review: Bruford - The Autobiography


This is quite unlike any music autobiography I have ever read. There's no tales of drug binges, wild orgies with groupies, car wrecks, or any of the usual excess we have come to expect from "famous" musicians - take a bow Motley Crue. Considering how long Bruford spent with Yes and King Crimson, there's also very little detail about those seminal bands.

What we do get though, is a large serving of disdain for the "music business" and a very intellectual analysis of making music, musicians and the audience. There are passing references to Chris Squire, Robert Fripp and others but that's not what this book is all about.

Perhaps the strongest feature of his autobiography is the research that crops up on every few pages. Bruford references many published analyses on music and creativity which I found very interesting. And that fits in with the style of the book because it is a very analytical and intellectual read. Obviously none of the stupid drummer jokes apply to Bruford.

However, what makes this book different is also its downfall in my opinion. An autobiography is supposed to be personal, and this book doesn't deliver on that level. I would have liked to know more about how some of those classic albums ["Fragile", "Close to the Edge", "Red", "Discipline" etc.] were conceived, rehearsed and recorded. I want to know about other musicians he's played with and loved or hated and why [there are a few references, but not many]. As he's now retired, let's hope that is covered in book #2.

After reading this, I felt I got a better understanding of what it's like to be a musician that remains true to themselves despite the industry they are in. I feel I know what Bruford thinks about a lot of topics, but I don't feel I really know what makes Bruford tick or some of the experiences he has had that have shaped him as a person. He comes across as rather cold and removed from everything, like he was a distant observer of events rather than actually being in among the drama.

The other thing that rubs me the wrong way is that he has had an incredible 40-year career in the music business - yet there are a lot of sour grapes and a lack of appreciation of how lucky he has been. I would be on cloud nine if I could jam with Tony Levin or travel the world doing what I loved.

Overall, it's an interesting, intellectual read, but I would not be beating down the door to buy it at full price unless you are already a huge Bruford, Yes, or King Crimson fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment